Applicants should normally have an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 and, with the exception of applicants applying to the MAT program, an appropriate score on the verbal portion of the Graduate Record Examination.
The application includes:
- the online application (On the application be sure to select the Rutgers-Newark History Program)
- official transcripts from all the colleges and universities the applicant has attended Transcripts should be sent to
- Office of Graduate Admissions
- 190 University Avenue, Room 101
- Newark, NJ 07102
- GRE general examination scores (for M.A. applicants)
- When taking your GRE exam, have your scores sent to the Rutgers-Newark campus, school code 2512
- The Department will accept the LSAT in lieu of the GRE.
- three letters of recommendation
- Letters that can speak about your academic performance
- Recommenders may submit on their own letterhead or submit electronically if their email address was provided on the student's application
- a personal statement no longer than 500 words
- Explain your intellectual interests and commitments
- Identify fields/areas you may wish to pursue
- Explain why the program at Rutgers-Newark and NJIT is a good fit for you.
- an academic writing sample, such as an undergraduate research paper of at least 10 pages that should demonstrate skills in writing and analysis.
- the application fee
- a resume is optional
The Department has very limited resources for student fellowships. Information about the Rutgers University's financial aid program can be obtained from Financial Aid.
Students with appropriate education and/or experience may take graduate history courses without working toward a formal degree by enrolling as non-matriculated students. This option is designed mainly for students who wish to take only one or a few graduate courses in some particular area of history. Non-matriculated students may later apply for transfer into the M.A. or M.A.T. program, in which case they must meet the regular admission requirements. The courses taken on a non-degree basis may be counted toward the M.A. or M.A.T. degree, although a grade of B or higher is required.
The deadline for fall admission is July 1st, and the deadline for spring admission is December 1st.
Requests for Information and Application
Applications are to be filed online at http://gradstudy.rutgers.edu.
All applications must include not only the application form but also a personal statement, three letters of recommendation, official transcripts, a writing sample, and, in the case of M.A. applicants, G.R.E. scores.
For additional information or answers to particular questions:
The Graduate History Program
175 University Avenue
Conklin Hall, Room 323
Newark, NJ 07102
Tel.: (973) 353-3902
E-mail: Christina Strasburger, Program Administrator email@example.com
For information about the M.A. concentration in History of Technology, Environment and Medicine:
Professor Neil Maher
325 Cullimore Hall, NJIT