The BA in History is offered jointly by the Federated History Department of Rutgers-Newark (Conklin Hall, Room 323) and NJIT (Cullimore Hall, Room 331). For information, NJIT students should contact the NJIT Federated History Department Office at 331 Cullimore Hall or send an email to the NJIT Chair, Professor Stephen Pemberton. Students having a Rutgers-related question should contact the Rutgers-Newark Undergraduate Director, Professor Eva Giloi, The program draws on faculty and courses from both universities.
The major in history gives students a broad grasp of world history and the cultural backgrounds of many segments of contemporary society. Students learn methods of historical research and exposition that may be applied not only by the professional historian but also by those interested in pursuing careers in government, education, law, the media, business, and other fields. Although not required, proficiency in at least one foreign language is recommended, especially for students who are considering graduate study in history.
The major requires 36 credits of history courses with a grade of C or higher in each course. These courses may include offerings at Rutgers (510 and 512 prefixes) or NJIT (HIST prefix). Each program is subject to approval by an advisor or by the chairperson of the department. Specific requirements:
- 6 credits in introductory western civilization: R510:201 and R510:202. (NJIT students who transfer into the history major after fulfilling the General University Requirement (GUR) in cultural history with different courses may, at the discretion of their advisor, substitute other courses for R510:201 and R510:202.)
- 6 credits in any U.S. history courses (any level)
- 6 credits in any Asian, African, Latin American, or Comparative history courses (any level).
The following courses will fulfill this requirement: HIST 213, HIST 345, HIST 365, HIST 367, HIST 382, and the following R510 courses 207, 208, 209, 263, 264, 280, 281, 286, 287, 288, 297, 298, 311, 312, 317, 325, 337, 338, 339, 353, 354, 355, 356, 361, 365, 378, 379, 385 386, 390, 431, 432, 433, 441, 442, 449, 450, 460, 461. 462 and 463.
- 3 credits in Perspectives in History (510:315 or 510:316) or HIST 489 or R510 489 Seminar Readings.. Note: must be successfully completed before Seminar-Research (510:490)
- 3 credits in HSS 404 Humanities and Social Sciences Seminar: History (a prerequisite for HIST 490).
- 3 credits in the History Seminar 510:490 or HIST 490).
- 9 additional credits in history, at least 6 of which must be taken at the 300 or 400 level.
Students considering the history major are encouraged to contact the History Undergraduate Director or Chair at their university to discuss their interests and career options.